Tuesday, April 23, 2013

On Writing

With the release of my second book next month, I've been reflecting a lot on my publishing journey. I remember the painful rejections from agents, the late nights I spent perfecting my query letter, the lunch hours spent in my car writing down scenes as they struck me. The maddening feeling of "Am I crazy for putting so much energy into this? What if I'm no good? Is this going to be something I'll be embarrassed about in ten years?"

We all fight our doubts. We all let ourselves get in our own way. I did. I even had people telling me I would never make it. That I was wasting my time.

But I had other people too. I had the writing community, and without them, without you, I wouldn't have made it. I know that with every fiber in my body. Soldiers fighting a war in the trenches always became close, like brothers. They looked out for one another, they were loyal to each other, and they truly cared.

That's how it is in the query trenches. You won't stay there forever. Like soldiers, you'll suffer injuries. But it will be in the form of rejection, and it will maul your pride instead of your physical body. The scars will either make you stronger or make you quit. I remember the soldiers in the query trenches with me. And it seemed like when one of us got an agent, the rest of us did. I fought with Mindy McGinnis, AG Howard, Valerie Cole, Heather Rebel, and many more.  I got an agent. They all got agents. What are the chances of that? Do you see the pattern here?

We were there for each other. And we made it out of the trenches together.

So if you're an aspiring writer, don't keep to yourself. Give and receive. Get involved. Learn your craft, teach your craft. Share information and doubts and worries and excitement and encouragement.

Get each other out of the trenches.

You can do it.

26 comments:

  1. What an inspiring post! :D Thanks! It's easy to get lost in it all and it's good to now that you aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post! There is nothing worse yhan finishing a book that you're so proud of, only to find out no one wants to publish that genre right now...

    Great. I heard that about three weeks ago. Never mind the fact that my story has an important message. Never mind that every teen who's read it can't wait until I write the next one. This industry is so fickle and can be as brutal as war, you're right about that one!

    I've searched like mad for a great writing group that would give me the kind of feedback reall writers need. The problem being that most writers on these sites are not as dedicated and I end up doing all the teaching and learn nothing. So, my solution? I'm finally going for my BA in Creative Writing for fiction! At least there I know I'm in good company with other struggling writers and the teachers who are published and have "been there and done that" and can share their experiences.

    Thanks for the encouragement! There are a lot of writers out there who are just in it for themselves and do not encourage others, they just like to be rude and condescending... mostly the early twenty-somethings who think they know it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Thanks for the encouragement, Anna. And many congratulations to you and your fellow "soldiers."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Anna… such an emotional post!! I'm so excited you made it :))
    *huggles*

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! I met you on tour last year and was inspired by your story then as well. I'm glad you kept fighting! I'm excited for more snarky scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good to see your blog!! Impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may or may not be crying right now. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where abouts would you recommend i go, which "trench" so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So often I think, "where would I be without my writer-friends?" And I don't even want to think about the answer to that question, lol. I'm exceedingly grateful for my crit partners and my online writing community. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the encouragement! It's SO hard to be a writer these days. Especially when you know you're good enough.

    Speaking of which, I JUST finished Of Poseidon and I'm very upset that I don't have the sequel in my hands right. now. I LOVE your characters!!! Didn't see the end coming either... great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are no two ways about it; I sat in my seat, tingleing all over, with my mouth agape the whole way during her ad. I reckon this one may have flowed better than the first one, with the music acting as a nice transition between scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you very much., You are a good writer.
    In addition to art that will give you good
    I congratulate you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Writing is an art that everyone does it. Congratulate you for having this art.
    Your blog is unique

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd like to win is because Anna Banks is one of the coolest authors in this world and she's been sharing these amazing stories with us! I'm a Brazilian fangirland I almost had a heart attack when I saw the new cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Was excellent.
    Thank you very much., You are a good writer.
    In addition to art that will give you good
    I congratulate you

    ReplyDelete
  16. Writing is an art that everyone does it. Congratulate you for having this art.
    Your blog is unique

    ReplyDelete
  17. 选择我们是您的慧眼如炬,而我们也同样不会让您失望!拥有数十年经营海外华人留学生论文代写专业的机构,旗下拥有英国、澳洲等众多国家的专业写手,他们都是我们精心筛选出来的精英中的精英,对于众多的论文格式,论文题目都有高深的写作造诣,在我们这里写作的客户满意回馈度已经达到了98.7%,超过行业标准!所以您还犹豫什么?即刻拿起手机扫码添加,马上享受高质量的学术论文代写或Assignment代写服务! https://www.essaysbest.com/category/dai-xie-bo-ke/

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was very well authored and easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Unlike other blogs I have read which are really not that good.

    ReplyDelete

  20. I like this website its a master peace !

    ReplyDelete
  21. I must say, as a lot as I enjoyed reading what you had to say, I couldn't help but lose interest after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very good article, I enjoyed reading your post

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for sharing this beautiful blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. It’s very nice. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the very useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  26. SRETNA NOVA GODINA SVIMA VANI. SRETAN SAM ŠTO SMO DOŽIVILI DO 2024. PA ŽELIM BRZO PODIJELITI SVOJE RANO SVJEDOČANSTVO O KAKO SAM DOBIO ZAJAM OD 20,000 EURA OVE 2024. GODINE. PRIJAVIO SAM SE ZA ZAJAM I DAVIDSON LOAN FIRM WORLD WIDE MI JE ODOBRIO ZAJAM. ZNAM O ČEMU GOVORIM I ZNAM KROZ ŠTO SAM PROŠAO, AKO VAM TREBA ZAJAM ZA BILO KAKAV PROJEKT I ŽELITE INVESTIRATI, MOŽETE KONTAKTIRATI G. DAVIDSON ALBERTA PUTEM E-MAILA: {davidsonalbertloan@gmail.com} WHATSAPP: {+4917645027555}

    ReplyDelete